Saturday, April 10, 2010

Being a Raging Chocoholic

Here I am posing beside a Chocolate Tree in the green house at the Calgary Zoo.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I am officially a Chocoholic. Here's the evidence I had:

- I would eat some form of chocolate for dessert after EACH meal, even breakfast, and as snacks between meals. Pretty much all day
- I ate so much of it, I didn't even like it any more, but some how I just couldn't stop
- I have been known to go to "extreme" measures to find my next fix of chocolate. These include stealing from other people (never from a store), searching through my parents house hoping to find a secret stash, and actually getting the in the car to go buy some
- I swear I had withdrawal symptoms if I ever went too long (i.e. longer than 4 or 5 hours) without chocolate

Having thus concluded my diagnosis, I decided that, like alcoholics staying away from alcohol, perhaps I just need to stay away from chocolate. So, Luke and I decided that I would try to go for 2.5 days without chocolate. My punishment if I failed: Luke would make me eat enough chocolate chips till I would puke.

I got excited as time went by and I didn't eat any chocolate. I would update Luke or my Mom, "I'm 4 hours off chocolate," "It's been 6 hours!" "8 hours sober!"

I failed, though. I couldn't make it 2.5 days. The call of the chocolate was too strong. Fortunately, Luke had mercy on me and could tell that I was genuinely remorseful, so he gave me another chance.

Since then, I have worked my way up to going for 4 days without chocolate.* It hasn't been easy. I've also decided that 4 days (or rather 96 hours, or thereabouts) is a good amount of time for me to aim for between my chocolate intake. 5 days is too overwhelming and as soon as I think about how many days I have till my next chocolate, I want it right then - not good emotionally. But 4 is enough of a challenge that I feel good after making it that long.

Tomorrow evening, I will have chocolate and I'm really looking forward to it.

* the chocolate that I am avoiding includes: chocolate chips, chocolate bars, Nutella, Reese's Pieces (which actually doesn't have chocolate in it, but is too close a substitute). Forms of chocolate that I am allowing: hot chocolate, chocolate milk, chocolate ice cream, chocolate pudding (which I don't eat anyway), and Oreos.

2 comments:

Julia Mar said...

I think my husband has the same problem! Which means now I eat more chocolate. LOVE IT! I'm happy to hear you made it 4 days. I think I'll challenge David and see what happens :)

Allison said...

I'm impressed with your efforts - and think I would FAIL. I've been purging the house of as many treats as possible, but on Saturday it got really bad and I dug the old chocolate chips out of the freezer and had a bowl. I stop for a little handful at least once a day. Way to go, Amy!