Saturday, January 16, 2010

Walking on Spy Pond


I went for a walk the other day and came upon Spy Pond - one of my favorite spots in Arlington. During the winter, it is usually frozen, even when other ponds in the area aren't frozen. I don't know what it is about the pond that helps it freeze so easily. I guess in the olden days they used to ship ice from Spy Pond out - I don't know where to.

Anyway, after seeing a few people ice fishing in the distance and looking at the very solid ice next to the little beach area, I decided I wanted to walk on it a little. My first few steps were very tentative, but then I realized that this ice was really solid, so I decided to walk to the island. I've always wanted to go to the island, but have never gone canoeing at Spy Pond. I figured this was my chance. So, I did. And I talked to some of the ice fishers and saw a woman walking her dog and saw a man skating around with a hockey stick - impressive because that ice was rough with frozen ripples. Anyway, I felt a grand sense of adventure and enjoyed walking among the really tall reeds that surround the island and enjoyed the crunch of the snow followed by the soft mush of leaves underneath that covered that island.

So, when life hands you a chance to try something new and different: think about trying it. But do it safely. Not all iced over ponds are safe enough to walk on.

4 comments:

Swoopref said...

I spent many days in my childhood playing pond hockey on Spy. Spy is kinda famous for its old ice house days. Spy Pond is even featured in Peabody-Essex Museum. (Be careful out there!)

Elizabeth Island is where we used to light off fireworks on Town Day. Now they use a barge.

cardwellclan said...

That's really cool!

Anonymous said...

By the way - I loved all the pictures of your trip - and the one on your card. Seth saw it and said, "are they at Disneyland or a weird temple?"

Allison said...

You're SO much braver than I am! The whole time I read that I thought about how I never would have even tested it out, and would have missed out on the whole thing.

P.S. We're SO excited about the trip!