Saturday, November 1, 2008

Memories of Halloweens Past

I know that Halloween is over, but I didn't have time to write yesterday, so I'm writing now. Seeing all the youngin's out and about in their costumes reminded me of how much fun it was to get all dressed up and collect candy in the cold. It also made me sad that Luke and I hadn't planned on dressing up, so before we went to our friends' for a low key get together, we decided to put on stuff we found around the house. We ended up being the only ones to dress up. The results (pictures) are coming, but I was a nerd, and Luke was a bright and colorful "cool guy." It wasn't my best costume and fell into the category of costume that I seem to have a knack for: costumes that make you look worse than you actually do.

I think the costume that best highlights my work in this genre is my costume for the high school senior year Halloween dance. Everytime I watch the movie Mean Girls and the scene where the main character shows up to a Halloween party as a scary looking bride and everyone else is looking all dolled up, I cringe cause it hits very close to home. While the other girls in my high school (for the most part) were very good at having their costumes and looking cute, too, I decided to be an Oompa Loompa. (Luke's reaction: it's like you thought of the cutest thing you could be and then did the exact opposite). I had painted my whole face bright orange with freaky white eyebrows, painted my hair green hair with greasy, green make up, and wore beige overalls with a brown shirt underneath. I also recall that I memorized the Oompa Loompa song and would randomly burst into song throughout the night. I thought it was such a great idea, until I got to the dance and then people hardly wanted to talk with me. Worst of all, they took a big picture of everyone at this dance and printed it in color (and very big) in the yearbook, so now anyone who opens the yearbook will be reminded of my costume. Thank goodness, I'm not recognizable - I'm hoping most people who see the picture will think that the orange-faced person is a guy. When I get a chance, I'll have to scan the picture and post it, so you can see me (though I'll warn you now that I'm very small and just in the corner, so you can't see the whole costume, just my orangified face).

Other costumes (both sucessful and not) that I rememeber

a witch
the season Summer
a care bear (this was another awful costume... very poorly executed)
the Queen of spades
a newsie
a farmer
Alice in Wonderland, though nobody could really tell, which I attribute to their being lame
a crayola crayon
an M&M bag (really cool costume that Mom made)
a cowboy
a China doll

I can't recall any more.

Some costumes that Luke has had:

astronaut
dinosaur
star fleet officer from Star Trek
mad scientist
skeleton
vampire
guy with really creepy mask that bleeds (it's really gross - this was probably one of his favorites)

No comments: