The Dollmaker by Harriet Arnow. I only read 1/2 this book. It's about this poor woman who moves to Chicago during some war (not even sure which war). She's a pretty strong woman and tries to make the best of difficult circumstances. I read 1/2 the booking just hoping that things would pick up and get more interesting. They didn't and finally I decided that it wasn't worth my time to read the rest.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. This book is just depressing, which I don't really usually mind much. This just so heavy with racism and abuse I didn't find it interesting enough to make the depressing stuff worthwhile.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Unlike a lot of people I know, I didn't actually read this book for a high school English class. No, I dragged myself through this ordeal of a book on my own. I read this one 'cause it's on a list of 100 Great Books that I have. After reading it, I decided that the list of 100 Great Books was crap and I'm just going to read what I want.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I did have to read this for a high school English class. Perhaps it's because I was experiencing major senioritis at the time, but I don't remember anything remarkable about this book. I just recall a lot of partying and bull fights and stupid people doing stupid things.

The Red Badge of Courage by Crane. I know Clarke loves this one. Sorry Clarke, I did not. I don't know why exactly, but it took me months to read this 80 page book. Months - and these weren't very busy months either. This is also on the list of 100 Great Books, which goes to show that you can't trust a list of Great Books to really be great books. Just 'cause someone else thinks it's fantastic doesn't mean you'll like it.

That being said, if you have read these books and you've enjoyed them, I am glad to hear that. I really am 'cause then you're not shaking you head thinking, "What a waste of my time..."
2 comments:
Confession: I loved The Red Badge of Courage.
I agree with everything on your list (and could add a few!), except The Sun Also Rises. When I first tackled it, as a teenager, I didn't like it much, either. When I read it, as an adult, it spoke to me on a completely different level. The main themes of the book, uncertainty about your life's direction, ennui about where your life is, and the need for spiritual guidance, really spoke to me after I'd had a few of those "coming of age" experiences. I'd definitely give it another chance!
Post a Comment